Dr. Raja Sekhara Rao is a leading surgeon for lung transplantation with extensive experience and specialization in treating various lung diseases. Thoracic procedures he performs include Lung Transplantations, VATS (Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery), Mediastinal surgeries, Thymectomy, and other Lung surgeries. He delivers high-quality care with a strong focus on patient safety and best clinical outcomes.
Best thoracic surgeon in Hyderabad, Dr. Raja Sekhara Rao possesses professional training in meeting all the needs of lung transplant patients. He provides comprehensive care in a compassionate setting and helps patients in making more informed decisions about their treatment. He is assisted by a team of transplant pulmonologists, transplant coordinators, registered nurses, and other supporting staff.
Dr. Raja Sekhara Rao is committed to helping patients with continued care, and standard preoperative assessment followed by the planned procedure. He has been providing comprehensive and one-stop cardiac care in Hyderabad for the patients suffering from heart-related ailments.
Overview Of Lung Transplantations
Lungs help you get the oxygen; you need to survive. When the lungs get damaged or affected, you may not get enough oxygen. There are a wide variety of diseases affecting your lungs, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, scarring of the lungs, pulmonary hypertension, and cystic fibrosis.
Lung transplantation is a procedure to replace the diseased or damaged lung with a healthy donor lung. It helps you increase your longevity and overall quality of life. An end-stage lung disease needs a lung transplant to live longer and breathe comfortably.
In Lung transplantation procedure, the surgeon replaces either one or more of the damaged lungs with healthy lungs. It is usually for the people who have tried all the nonsurgical treatment options to improve their condition.
Advantages Of Lung Transplantation Surgery
The advantages of lung transplantation surgery include:
- Lower shortness of breath
- More energy
- Fewer restrictions
- Better quality of life
- Increased longevity of life
Types of Lung Transplantations
The types of lung transplants include:
- Single lung transplantation
- Double lung transplantation
- Heart-lung transplantation
- Transplantation of lung lobes received from living related donors
Candidates For Lung Transplantation Surgery
- People who are likely to die without a lung transplant
- Patients suffering from lung diseases such as COPD, Cystic fibrosis, Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, and Pulmonary hypertension
- Patients who have tried all the nonsurgical treatment options, including medicines or breathing devices, which are of no use.
- Individuals failed in a 6 min walk test
- Patients who have understood all the before and after responsibilities of lung transplant surgery.
Reasons For Lung Damage
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Scarring of the lungs (pulmonary fibrosis)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Sarcoidosis with advanced fibrosis
- Pulmonary hypertension
Signs And Symptoms For Lung Diseases:
- Shortness of breath
- Blue tinge to fingernails or lips
Diagnosis and Testing
- Pulmonary function tests
- Cardiac stress test
- Coronary artery catheterization
- Bone mineral density test
- Chest X-ray
- Computed tomography (CT scan) of the chest
- Blood tests for complete blood count (CBC)
You will be given anaesthesia to make you sleep. Now a tube will be inserted into your windpipe through your mouth, to help you breathe. Another tube will be placed into your nose down to your stomach to keep your bladder empty.
An incision will be made on your chest to remove the diseased lung. The airways between the heart and lungs will be either connected to donor lung or a heart-lung machine to keep your blood circulating throughout the procedure.
- Single Lung Transplant: Single lung transplants involve thoracotomy incisions under the patient’s side.
- Double Lung Transplant: Double lung transplants involve horizontal incisions which are made just below the middle part of the chest.
- State of the art-digital cath lab
- A high-tech 3D electroanatomical mapping system
- Well-equipped ICUs and OT
- Special clinics
- Intensive care units
- Advanced OT facilities
- Postoperative care unit with monitoring facilities
- Echo Lab with advanced non-invasive facilities
- Adult and Paediatric heart surgeries
Why Choose Dr. Rajasekhara For Lung Transplantation Surgery in Hyderabad?
- Lung transplantation surgery from dynamic, skilled, and experienced surgeon
- A thorough assessment of the donor’s heart
- Presurgical optimization of overall health
- High-quality medical care
- State of the art operation theatres
- Use of latest technology and robust diagnostic support
- Excellent postoperative and preoperative care
Lung Transplantation Surgery in Hyderabad FAQS
What Are The Types Of Lung Donors?
The types of lung donors include:
- Donor after Brain stem death
- Donor after circulatory death
- Lobe transplant from living donor
Are There Any Criteria To Find Appropriate Match?
We find the appropriate match based on specific criteria, which include:
- Blood type
- Size of organ compared with the chest cavity
- Distance between donor organ and transplant recipient
- The severity of the recipient’s lung disease
- Recipient’s overall health
- The likelihood that the lung transplant will be successful
What Are The Results I Can Expect?
A successful lung transplant provides you with a substantial improvement in your life. However, our patients with lung transplants have lived ten years or more after a lung transplant. The results of the procedure depend on post-surgical complications, rejection, and infection.
Are There Any Age And Weight Restrictions For Lung Transplant Surgery?
To undergo lung transplants, age, and weight are the two factors considered. Patients aged above 70 years or patients with BMI (body mass index) more 35 are more likely to experience risks from lung transplant surgery.
I Have A Cancer, Can I Undergo Lung Transplant Surgery?
A cancer patient can undergo lung transplant provided he has cured it at least five years before the surgery. However, your doctor does a thorough examination of colon cancer, intraductal breast cancer, prostate cancer, and skin cancers before recommending the procedure.
Can A Child Undergo Lung Transplant Surgery?
Children suffering from life-threatening lung diseases can have lung transplantation surgery. They can even undergo double and single lung transplants.
Is Organ Rejection a Risk of Lung Transplantation?
Every patient will have an acute rejection such as inflammation of blood vessels, and airways. However, anti-rejection medications can help you manage this kind of denial. In rare instances, you may also have a chronic rejection, which further develops into chronic lung allograft dysfunction (CLAD). This type of denial is responsible for 50% of deaths in lung transplant patients.
What Are The Thoracic Surgeries Performed By Dr. Raja Sekhara Rao?
- VATS(Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery)
- Lung surgeries
- Mediastinal surgeries
How To Contact Dr. Rajasekhara Rao?
To contact Dr Rajasekhara Rao: