Dr. Raja Sekhara Rao is highly trained and experienced cardiothoracic surgeon in Hyderabad. He performs diagnosis, treatment, clinical care, rehabilitation and comprehensive management of all the cardiothoracic diseases. He is one among the highly experienced heart specialists who perform complex heart surgeries with excellent long term outcomes.
Dr. Raja Sekhara Rao is committed to providing the most appropriate course of treatment for each patient. He ensures patient well-being by offering advanced and quality treatment and care for all your heart diseases. He has performed many major heart surgeries successfully and well renowned for his pioneering work in the field of cardiothoracic surgery.
Overview of Infective Endocarditis Surgery
Infective endocarditis occurs when the bacteria enters the bloodstream and reaches the lining of heart valves, both native as well as prosthetic . It causes inflammation, creates holes in the heart valves, and results in leaky heart valves. Bacteria usually enters your bloodstream while eating, teeth brushing, and when passing stools.
Infective endocarditis can be a fatal disease when left untreated. Most cardiologists treat endocarditis with antibiotics. But in some instances, the surgery is needed to treat severe heart valve leakages resulting from endocarditis infection. However, the type of surgery depends on certain factors including diagnosis, complications involved, amount of damage to heart valves, size of vegetations and previous history of diseases.
Causes Of Infective Endocarditis
Endocarditis occurs when the bacteria enter your bloodstream and reaches your heart valves, and causes Infective Endocarditis of native valves , more so in previously repaired heart valves or prosthetic heart valves.
Bacteria may enter your bloodstream through:
- Everyday oral activities such as brushing, and flossing
- Medical conditions such as gum disease, inflammatory bowel disease, a sexually transmitted infection or certain intestinal disorders
- A catheter that is injected to inject or remove fluid from your body
- Needles used for tattoos and body piercing
- Syringes and needles used to give intravenous (IV) illegal drugs
- Dental procedures involving incisions to your gums
Signs and Symptoms of Infective Endocarditis
- Fatigue (tiredness), night sweats, and headache
- Fever, chills, and aching muscles & joints
- Shortness of breath and cough
- Changes in a heart murmur
- Decrease in appetite
- Discomfort on the upper left side of the abdomen
- Blood in the urine
- Painless and flat spots on your palms
- Swelling in the feet, legs, or abdomen
- Spots under fingernails
- PUO ( Pyrexia of Unknown Origin)
Diagnosis and Testing:
- Blood Tests
- Blood cultures
- Trans Thoracic and/or Trans Oesophageal Echocardiography
- Chest X-ray
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- PET Scan whole body
Infective Endocarditis Treatment in Hyderabad
Infective endocarditis can be cured with antibiotics. However, surgery may be needed in some instances to treat the infection of the heart valves. The treatment options for this condition include:
Antibiotics: Most surgeons recommend antibiotics during the first 2 to 6 weeks. You will be hospitalized during the early weeks to make sure that your body is responding to the medications. However, your surgeon injects antibiotics into a vein through an intravenous (IV) line. Special care is a must if you are having IV antibiotic treatment at home.
Surgery for Infective Endocarditis: When your infective endocarditis is causing severe damage to your heart valves, then surgery is required to replace and repair the damaged heart valves. Infective endocarditis with fungi requires an operation but in rare conditions. Infective Endocarditis patients with large vegetations more than 10 mm, unresponsive to antibiotics and hemodynamic compromise need early surgery. Dr Raja Sekhara Rao is very experienced in these surgeries because of his training in Australia.
- State of the art-digital cath lab
- Well-equipped ICUs and OT
- Special clinics
- Advanced Microbiology lab
- Intensive care units
- Advanced OT facilities
- Postoperative care unit with monitoring facilities
- Echo Lab with advanced non-invasive facilities
- Adult and Paediatric heart surgeries
Why Choose Dr. Raja Sekhara Rao for Infective Endocarditis Surgery in Hyderabad?
- He has a lot of experience in operating on patients with Infective Endocarditis and it’s complications like brain stroke etc.
- Surgery from dynamic, skilled, and experienced heart surgeon
- A thorough assessment of clinical condition
- Presurgical optimization for best possible outcomes
- High-quality medical care
- State of the art operation theatres
- Use of latest technology and robust diagnostic support
Infective Endocarditis Surgery FAQs
What Are The Types Of Infective Endocarditis?
- Acute IE: Acute IE develops suddenly and becomes life-threatening within days
- Chronic IE: Develops over a while (several weeks to several months)
Who Are At An Increased Risk For Endocarditis?
- People who inject illicit drugs
- People who have a weakened immune system
- People who have a prosthetic (artificial) heart valve
- People who have a pacemaker or defibrillator
What Happens When Infective Endocarditis Left Untreated?
- Heart valve damage and heart failure
- Heart stroke
- Paralysis (Inability to move body parts) due to Brain Stroke
- Abscesses (Collection of pus)
- Pulmonary embolism (Blockage in a lung artery)
- Kidney damage
- Enlarged spleen
What Would Be The Recovery After The Surgery?
The recovery for the Infective Endocarditis surgery is similar to the operation of heart valve repair and replacement. However, your recovery will be slower when you have any other prior health conditions. Patients need to use appropriate antibiotics for 6 weeks following surgery.
What Are The Other Cardiac Surgeries Performed By Dr. Raja Sekhara Rao?
- Heart Transplant Surgery
- Off-Pump CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting)
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgeries
- Valve Repairs & Replacements
- Adult Congenital Heart surgery
- ECMO & VAD Surgeries
- CABG with Arterial Grafts
- Redo Heart Surgeries
How To Contact Dr. Raja Sekhara Rao?
To contact Dr. Rajasekhara Rao:
Disclaimer : Information furnished above is for educating patient. Please contact Dr Raja Sekhara Rao for any further clarification