Dr. Raja Sekhara is a highly experienced cardiothoracic and vascular surgeon dedicated to the rigorous diagnosis, treatment, and management of your cardiac conditions. He treats severe cardiac conditions such as acute myocardial infarction, refractory arrhythmia, myocarditis, postpartum cardiomyopathy, pulmonary embolus, and postcardiotomy failure. He provides the best treatment and support through updated technology and facilities.
He works with you and slows down the progress of life-threatening cardiac conditions you are experiencing. He is a renowned surgeon for treating various cardiothoracic conditions including aortic and peripheral vascular surgery, atrial fibrillation and maze surgery, Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), heart transplantation, heart valve surgery, lung transplantation, and other thoracic procedures.
Overview of ECMO & VAD Surgeries
Advanced heart diseases require mechanical circulatory support (MCS) to take over the functioning of the heart and lungs, which are failed to function on its own. These devices temporarily take over the operation of the heart and lung during an emergency surgical procedure. The mechanical circulatory support (MCS) are of different types which are Ventricular Assist Device (VAD), Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD), Percutaneous Ventricular Assist Devices (PVAD), and Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO).
ECMO elaborated as extracorporeal membrane oxygenation is an advanced life support modality. In this support system, the mechanical pump and oxygenator take over the function of the heart and lungs. It is usually for patients with the sick heart or/and lungs, which cannot function on its own.
Dr. Raja Sekhara uses ECMO while treating life-threatening conditions such as respiratory or cardiac failure. They have become more frequent in the treatment of heart attack or heart surgery. Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) supports the blood flow from the heart to other vital body organs. It is for people with weakened hearts. VAD designs are of two types, which include transcutaneous and implantable.
Diagnosis and Testing:
- Blood work
- Chest X-Ray
- Pulmonary Function Test
- Carotid Doppler/Ultrasound Study
- Ankle-Brachial Index
- Surface Echocardiogram
- Vein Mapping
- Trans-esophageal echocardiogram
- ECG-gated SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging
- Heart Catheterization
- Computed Tomography Scan
- Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- State of the art-digital cath lab
- A high-tech 3D electroanatomical mapping system
- Well-equipped ICUs and OT
- Special clinics
- Intensive care units
- Advanced OT facilities
- Postoperative care unit with monitoring facilities
- Echo Lab with advanced non-invasive facilities
- Adult and Paediatric heart surgeries
Why Choose Dr. Rajasekhara For ECMO & VAD Surgeries in Hyderabad?
- Treatment from dynamic, skilled, and experienced surgeon
- A thorough assessment of the donor’s heart
- Presurgical optimization of overall health
- High-quality medical care
- State of the art operation theatres
- Use of latest technology and robust diagnostic support
- Excellent preoperative care from an expert team
ECMO & VAD Surgeries FAQs
What Are Transcutaneous VAD?
Transcutaneous VAD device provides short term support and carry blood from the heart to the mechanical pump and from there to the blood vessels. Both the pump and power source are outside the body.
What Are Implantable VAD?
An implantable VAD, the pump is present outside the body, and the power source is outside the body. It is a portable power source similar to a belt.
What Are The Types Of VAD?
The types of VAD include:
What Does ECMO Provide?
ECMO provides gas exchange (oxygenation of the blood and CO2 removal) and cardiac output (ECMO flow + patient stroke volume).
When Is ECMO Needed?
ECMO is needed to treat several respiratory diseases and conditions such as:
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- H1N1 Influenza A respiratory failure
- Cardiogenic shock any cause except sepsis
- Acute myocardial infarction
- Refractory arrhythmia
- Postpartum cardiomyopathy
- Pulmonary embolus
- Postcardiotomy failure
- Acute or chronic heart failure
- Pancreatitis with SIRS
- Aspiration pneumonia
- Sepsis-related ARDS
- Pneumonia (viral, bacterial, atypical)
- Post-transplant organ failure
- Hypothermic arrest
- Burns (smoke inhalation)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Tricyclic antidepressant overdose
- Bridge to VAD or transplant
Is ECMO Similar To Heart-Lung Machine?
ECMO is similar to a heart-lung machine. It consists of the venous cannula, arterial cannula, pump, oxygenator, and water heater.
What Are The Other Cardiac Surgeries Performed By Dr. Rajasekhara?
The other cardiac surgeries performed by Dr. Raja Sekhara include:
- Heart Transplantation Surgery
- Off-Pump CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting)
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgeries
- Valve Repairs & Replacements
- Adult Congenital Heart surgery
- CABG with Arterial Grafts
- Infective Endocarditis Surgery
- Redo Heart Surgeries
How To Contact Dr. Rajasekhara?
To contact Dr. Rajasekhara: